Coconut Cake


The other day I was in the mood for baking and I baked two cakes - coconut cake and chocolate cake. Chocolate cake is a recipe I have made often but I tried coconut cake for the first time.

Not for me the plethora of ready made cake mixes filling up the aisles in the super markets. If I were to use a ready made cake mix I would feel that it is not my doing…it would just be the mix taking shape. I am only happy and satisfied when I pull out my kitchen scales, measure the flour by the gram, tip the baking powder from my measuring spoon and melt the butter over the double boiler. Yes it is some amount of work…that is why I don’t bake too often.



This is the recipe I followed for coconut cake…

Ingredients

300 grams castor sugar,
200 grams desiccated coconut,
Water as required,
50 grams refined flour,
1 ½ tsp baking powder,
150 grams margarine or butter,
5 eggs,
100 grams fine semolina,
1 cup milk,
1 tsp butterscotch essence

Method

Make a syrup of one-thread consistency with the castor sugar and the water. Mix in the dessicated coconut and cook till dry. If you gets lumpy, cool it and run it once in the mixer.

Sieve the refined flour with the baking powder and keep it aside.

Melt the butter in a double boiler and cool. Once cool add the eggs and whip till light and creamy.

Now add the refined flour and baking powder mix, semolina, milk, butterscotch essence and desiccated coconut mix. Mix gently and let stand for an hour.

Grease and flour a cake tin and pour in the batter. Preheat the oven for 10 mins at 180o C for 40 mins. Let cool and slice.

Comments

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. If you liked this post, please post a comment sharing your feedback or suggestion.

Most Liked