Jackfruit Dosa



I think there are two types of people, people who simply love jackfruits and people who can’t stand them. Very rarely have I seen people who think jackfruits are ok. Some jackfruits have firm flesh whereas some have extremely soft almost slimy flesh, I love both varieties.

This year we got two whole jackfruits at home, this is a rare thing as generally we would just buy small quantities of jackfruit whenever it is in season. This year one of our neighbours got us a whole jackfruit from his home in Kerala and about a month later we got a whole jackfruit when there was a Mango and Jackfruit Mela at Lalbagh Botanical Gardens, here in Bangalore.

The jackfruit we got home turned out to be the one with the soft flesh and only my mother and I have this kind, so we both had a lot of jackfruit to finish between the two of us :-). That is why I started searching for recipes using jackfruit, however all the recipes I got used jaggery too. I didn’t want to make a dish with jaggery as both me and my mother are trying to avoid dishes with added sweetening agents. So finally, I decided to make the standard jackfruit dosa my mother always makes in the jackfruit season. Here is the recipe...

Ingredients

1 ½ cup rice,
1 cup coconut,
2 cups jackfruit flesh,
Oil as required

Method

Soak the rice for about 4-5 hours. If you are planning to make the dosas for breakfast, you can soak the rice overnight.



Grind the rice and coconut, when it is coarsely ground add the jackfruit and grind till it turns into a fine batter.

Heat a non-stick tawa and when it is heated but not too hot, take a ladle full of the batter and spread it on the tawa to form a 4 inch round. Drizzle a few drops of oil over the dosa and cook covered. When it is brown on one side, flip it over and cook for another one minute. Serve hot.

This dosa does not need any accompaniment and can be had just as is.

Comments

  1. Sounds absolutely lovely. I wonder whether one can do the batter in a normal mixer/blender ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes absolutely Uday you can do the batter in the mixer that is what I used. Do give it a shot looks like you are someone who loves jackfruit like me :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. If you liked this post, please post a comment sharing your feedback or suggestion.

Most Liked