Bengali Mutton Curry

Badge
Mutton is something I make very rarely, as is obvious from the lack of mutton posts on my blog. But the other day for Id-ul-Azha the occasion demanded that I make a mutton dish. I decided to try a different dish from what is generally made at my in-laws place so I settled on this Bengali Mutton Curry which I had noted in my book sometime back.



Ingredients

¾ kg mutton,

For the Marinade

1 tbsp ginger paste,
1 tbsp garlic paste,
1 tsp powdered turmeric,
1 tsp fine coriander powder,
2 tsp red chilli powder,
2 tsp garam masala powder,
Salt to taste,
¾ cup whisked yoghurt,
3 medium sized onions (ground to a paste),
1 tbsp mustard oil,
1 tsp green chilli paste
For the Gravy

6 tbsps mustard oil.
3 cubed potatoes (you can omit this or increase or decrease the number as per your preference),
3 sliced onions,
8-10 black peppercorns,
2 1-inch pieces of cinnamon,
3 bay leaves,
4 black cardamoms,
5 cloves,
2 tsp red chilli powder,
2 tsp cumin powder
Coriander leaves for garnishing

Method

Mix all the marinade ingredients and marinate the mutton in it for at least an hour. Best is if you can marinate it overnight in the refrigerator (that is what I did).

Heat the mustard oil and fry the cubed potatoes and drain them out. In the remaining oil add the whole spices and stir them till they are aromatic.

Next add the sliced onions and fry till they turn dark pink in colour. At this stage add the mutton along with the marinade and fry well. This may take about 10 minutes. Then add the fried potatoes and a little water and simmer till done. You can also pressure cook this.

Garnish with coriander leaves. Goes well with plain rice or a plain pulao.

Comments

Most Liked