Rasmalai



I was inspired to try making rasmalai at home, after having it at my sister-in-law Shanoo’s place, though I think the recipe I followed is a little different from hers.



The recipe I followed is what I saw on the blogosphere, I saw this quick and easy recipe on many blogs and the tips I have included was in one of the blogs, don’t remember which one.

Here is how I made it...



Ingredients

1 cup milk powder,
1 tsp baking powder,
1 big pinch powdered green cardamom seeds,
1 beaten egg,
1 litre milk,
7 tbsps sugar,
1 tsp ghee,
A large pinch saffron strands
Sliced almonds or pistachios for garnishing

Method

In a mixing bowl take the milk powder, baking powder and cardamom powder. Mix it well, now add the beaten egg and mix it well with a spoon.

Don’t mix it with your fingers as it may get too messy. After it is well mixed with a spoon apply some ghee on your palms and some on the tips of your fingers.



Take a small portion of this mixture and roll it into a ball. Ensure you make small balls as they will swell up once they cook. I made about 20 balls from this mixture.

Once all the balls are ready prick them gently with a tooth pick.

Take the milk in a shallow pan and let it come to a gentle boil. Take some of this milk in a bowl and add the saffron strands to this bowl and immerse them in.



Add the sugar to the boiling milk and let it get dissolved. Once it is dissolved tip in the prepared balls and cook on a low heat. After about 5 minutes turn all the balls around and cook for another 5-7 minutes. They will almost double in size by now. Turn off the heat and pour the saffron milk over the rasmalai.

Serve chilled garnished with sliced almonds or pistachios.

Comments

Most Liked