Black Seasame Dry Chutney



I know I am late. We are almost done with winter in most parts of India and now I am posting a sesame chutney. Sesame is extremely good for winters and all over the country you have til products being consumed during the winter months til gajak and til ladoo being the most popular. It is a good idea to even use sesame oil during these months. I made a black sesame chutney this time. I used a recipe shared by someone in a Facebook group, however I have been banned from the group for flouting one of the many rules and cannot even thank the person who shared the recipe some years back. Hrushikesh Paranjape if you ever read this post, thank you for the recipe :-) I have upped the chillies in the recipe as we like fiery chutneys.



Ingredients

1 cup of black sesame seeds
1/2 cup of roasted groundnuts
1/2 cup of white sesame seeds
1/2 cup of shredded dry coconut
1 cup of curry leaves
15-20 dry red chillies
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 Tsp. of oil

Method

Dry roast the black sesame seeds & white sesame seeds separately. The recipe specified the use of long grain black I had never seen those and was intending to use the normal black sesame seed I have always known. However when I went to the store I found just what was specified and could use it. Here is a photograph for those like me who haven’t seen the long grained ones before.



Heat some oil in a small kadai, add the dry coconut shreddings and fry until golden brown, followed by curry leaves, groundnuts & dried red chillies for a minute or so. Then add the asafoetida and stir for about 10-15 seconds.



Add the sesame seeds (black & white) with the mixture of hing, dried coconut shreds, curry leaves, groundnuts & red chillies and grind them in a mixer with salt as per your taste. I left it a bit coarse as per my liking.



This goes well with idli, dosa and today I even had it with plain rice and some ghee.

Comments

Most Liked