Umm Ali – An Eggless Bread Pudding



This post is dedicated to my friend Saro’s husband Martin, as he really appreciated this preparation. For someone who loves to cook and experiment, it is such a pleasure when their preparations are well relished. Thank you Martin :-)

Umm Ali
Umm Ali

What attracted me to this recipe was the name. According to Wikipedia this is a national dish of Egypt. It is made with puff pastry, milk and nuts. I have used plain white bread and have also skipped the nuts in the main preparation. For the topping, I experimented and used an ingredient which gave the dish a signature flavour. Here is my take on Umm Ali

Umm Ali
Umm Ali

Ingredients

7 slices of white bread,
1 ¾ cup of milk,
6 tbsp condensed milk,
8 tbsp sugar,
1 cup of malai or cream,
2 orange flavoured biscuits

Method

Trim the edges of the bread and cut them into four pieces.

Place them in two layers in a baking dish.
Umm Ali
Umm Ali

Mix the milk, condensed milk and 3 tbsp sugar and boil it gently. Pour this mixture over the bread and let it soak.

Mix the malai or cream with the remaining sugar with a gentle hand. Spread this over the soaked bread.

Crush the orange flavoured biscuits over the pudding.

Umm Ali
Umm Ali

Preheat the oven to 175oC. Bake this for about 15 minutes. Let cool and then refrigerate.

Serve chilled.

Comments

  1. I tried this recipe and I have got to say this thank you for this lovely recipe. My kids and husband loved it. I personally being a halwa fan just loved how you added the ingredients of horlicks to make it healthy, nutritious, and tasty. I had no idea I could use a hot malt drink this way, defiantly going to experiment with more flavors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad the dish was appreciated by your family. Comments like this keep me going.

      Delete
  2. venducFtheoma-Washington Erica Cain There
    Download
    scoutareshos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. If you liked this post, please post a comment sharing your feedback or suggestion.

Most Liked